The Russian monument is the first monument to be built in the capital of the newly liberated Principality of Bulgaria in 1882 .
The Russian monument was built on the road which Osman Nuri Paşa used to flee from Sofia to Pernik on 22 December 1877.
The Russian monument is an obelisk, a rectangular pyramid with a three-step pedestal. The eastern side of the memorial features a marble relief of the coat of arms of Russia and the Order of St. George, and a text commemorating Alexander II .
Today, it stands in the middle of an important round junction of the Skobelev and Totleben boulevards.
The Five Corners junction, Macedonia Square and the Pirogov Hospital are located nearby.