National history museum is Bulgaria’s largest museum, founded on 5 May 1973 and its first representative exposition was opened in 1984 to commemorate 1300 years of Bulgarian history.
National history museum was moved to a former governmental residence in 2000 and currently stores and owns over 650,000 objects connected to archaeology, fine arts, history and ethnography, although only 10% of them are permanently exhibited.
In 2000, the National history museum shifted to a new location – Home 1 in the former Boyana residence, where on 10 November, 1989 the last communist leader was removed from power.
The National Historical Museum disposes of a cloakroom, a buffet, a museum library and a souvenir shop, also offering professional conservation and restoration of historical monuments, authenticity investigations and expert valuation.
The museum’s director is the historian Dr. Bozhidar Dimitrov.